Port Lincoln (South Australia) – Mercury
Highest SA Water Mercury Readings 2000-12: 19/12/06 Port Lincoln Mercury 0.001mg/L, 8/5/12 Renmark Mercury 0.001mg/L.
Australian Drinking Water Guideline 0.001mg/L
Mercury, if it enters the ecosystem can transform into the more toxic methylmercury where it can bioaccumulate. Methylmercury is highly toxic to human embryos, fetuses, infants and children. Mercury has numerous sources including old gold mines, where mercury was used in gold recovery process. It has been estimated that 950 tonnes of
mercury was deposited into Victorian soil, rivers and streams during the various gold rushes.