2016/18 – Clifton/Nobby (Queensland) – Mercury, Nitrate

Center map
Traffic
Bicycling
Transit
Get Directions

Clifton/Nobby (Queensland) – Mercury

2016/17 – Clifton/Nobby (Queensland) – Mercury 0.0012mg/L (highest level)

(Toowoomba Regional Council DWQMP Annual Report 2016/17 Appendix B

2017/18 – Clifton/Nobby (Queensland) – Mercury 0.00072mg/L (highest level)

(Toowoomba Regional Council DWQMP Annual Report 2017/18

All results below ADWG health guideline values with exception of mercury in Warragul WTP filtered water inlet to reservoir in March 2012 where a result of 0.0012mg/L was reported.No cause was identified for result All subsequent reticulation monitoring was compliant.

Mercury: Australian Drinking Water  Guideline 0.001mg/L

Mercury, if it enters the ecosystem can transform into the more toxic methylmercury where it can bioaccumulate. Methylmercury is highly toxic to human embryos, fetuses, infants and children. Mercury has numerous sources including old gold mines, where mercury was used in gold recovery process. It has been estimated that 950 tonnes of
mercury was deposited into Victorian soil, rivers and streams during the various gold rushes.
http://ntn.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/mercury_brief20101.pdf

Clifton/Nobby (Queensland) – Nitrate

2017/18: Clifton/Nobby (Queensland) Nitrate 43.8mg/L

Nitrate: ADWG Guideline 50mg/L. Nitrate is the product of oxygenated nitrogen created from the breakdown of organic matter; lightning strikes; inorganic pesticides; or explosives. The Australian Drinking Water Guidelines recommend that nitrate levels between 50-100mg/L are a health consideration for infants less than three months, although levels up to 100mg/L can be safely consumed by adults. Mainly a problem in Northern Territory and some communities in Western Australia.