Blue-green algae warning for Lake Eppalock
Goulburn-Murray Water (GMW) is warning customers and the public to avoid direct contact with water in Lake Eppalock after monitoring detected high levels of blue‑green algae.
Warning signs will be positioned at major recreational areas around Lake Eppalock and will remain in place while high levels of blue-green algae are present. Lake Eppalock will not be closed to the public.
Visitors to the lake can still sightsee and enjoy other activities at Lake Eppalock that do not involve direct contact with the water.
Blue-green algae occur naturally in waterbodies. They contain toxins that are harmful to humans and animals. Characteristic signs of algae contact are skin rashes or itchiness; sore eyes, ears and nose; or if swallowed, nausea or vomiting.
- People and pets avoid contact with the water.
- People who come into contact with affected water should wash affected skin immediately in clean cold water.
- Seeking an alternative water supply for stock and pets where possible.
- Do not use affected water for cooking, drinking, washing or showering. Boiling the affected water will not make it safe for these purposes.
- Reading GMW’s fact sheet and other information on blue green algae at GMW’s blue-green algae webpage (https://www.g-mwater.com.au/news/bga) to be informed of the risks.
It is not possible to predict how long the algae will remain at high levels.
GMW is continuing to monitor the situation in Lake Eppalock.
Keep up to date with current blue-green algae warnings at https://www.g-mwater.com.au/news/bga or by ringing 1800 013 357 and selecting the option for blue-green algae information.
Water supplied by GMW is not suitable for human consumption without first being properly treated. Human consumption includes showering, bathing, washing, cooking, ice making and drinking.
For more information about blue-green algae and your health, visit health.vic.gov.au or phone NURSE-ON-CALL on 1300 60 60 24.