March 2017 – Uki (New South Wales) – Boil Water Alert

Center map
Get Directions
31 March 2017
Boiled water alert for village of Uki
Possible water contamination in local supply Recent heavy rain has made the Uki drinking water supply untreatable. Uki has its own water treatment plant and this water may have become contaminated.
Residents are advised that water used for drinking or food preparation should be brought to
a rolling boil. Water should then be allowed to cool and stored in a clean container with a lid and refrigerated.
If you are unable to boil the water, household bleach can be used to kill disease causing organisms in the water. Add 10 drops of 1per cent chlorine bleach per litre of water and let it stand for 30 minutes.
If you cannot smell chlorine after that time, add another 10 drops.
Bottled or cool boiled water or bleached water should be used for drinking, preparing food, making ice, pet’s drinking water, cleaning teeth and gargling.
Dishes should be washed in hot soapy water or in a dishwasher. Children should take
bottled or cool boiled water or bleached water to school. Tweed Shire Council is working to
fix the problem and bring in alternative water via a tanker or bottled water.
This advice should be followed until further notice.